Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Resources for Summer

365 Days of Creative Play, 4E
Around these parts school ends tomorrow. I am more prepared than I was last year, but still probably not really ready for adding structure to the day for my children. We are fortunate to have a large, fenced back yard. It is tempting to open the door, shoo them outside and go about my business. I'm sure there will still be some of that, but my goal is to have at least one structured activity in the morning and another in the afternoon. I've made a list of "larger events" - trips to the beach, zoo, etc. and smaller activities that I want to try out, plus weekly classes for our six year old, and library storytimes for the twins. Ten weeks should fly by with that schedule! For short and easy activities I've pulled out one of my favorite resources. 365 Days of Creative Play (I have the 3rd edition, 4th edition pictured here) is a real gem. The beginning suggests safety rules and supplies to have on hand. After that the authors list one idea after another of activities to do with your children. Some are very free-form: Fireworks Dance (perfect for July 4), others have specific outcomes in mind: a plaster of paris handprint plaque (classic!). There is a recipe for homemade playdough included. Some of these activities are short, others are more elaborate and require more time. At the end a handy index divides the activities into thirteen categories in case you're looking for inspiration in a certain area. The categories are: art, construction, craft, dance, education, environment, family, foods and cooking, games, horticulture, make-believe, music and nature. The book says it is suitable for children ages 2 years and up.

I'm planning to pull out my post-it notes and flag several ideas from this book to get things started...tomorrow I guess! 

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Looks like I great book, I'll have to check it out. One of my friends is looking for this exact type of book for this summer! I'll have to point her to it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails