Friday, February 26, 2010

It's Like Riding a Bike

Time for a heart warming story. Do you remember when you learned how to ride a bike? I harbor fond memories of Summer days spent tagging along after my older brother. Playing "Dukes of Hazard" (I was always Daisy, and yes, I do know that I'm dating myself here...), jumping on the dirt bike trails, and racing to get back home. Of course there are also the skinned knees, and in my case broken noses that come along with the occasional wipe out, but it is all part of growing up, usually.

I spotted this news story on my Google reader and it spoke volumes to me. This is what accommodation is all about. This little girl, Rachael, has been through so much and has lost so much. It might be easy to say, "Wow, she's lucky to be alive and to have adoptive parents who love her so much." To know that she wants the chance to ride a bike and experience what so many of us have taken for granted, is to realize that living is about more than just surviving. Thankfully a group of engineering students at University of Southern Carolina (the other USC!) are working on developing a bike just for Rachael. You can read the full story here or watch a video here.

Here's hoping that Rachael will soon be pedaling her way to new childhood experiences asap, and cheers to the young men who are working so hard to make that possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails