Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Regular Guy - Review

One of the things I'd like to do here is review books and other resources that readers might find useful or helpful. Feel free to suggest books with a comment. A friend of mine brought this book over one day and told me I needed to read it. Some other people had told me about "A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism" but I was reluctant to read it. At the time it seemed like I needed to read more about various therapies and what little is known about autism than another mom's account of raising her autistic son. Since someone placed it in my hands and expected me to read it I started it and couldn't put it down. I think I read the first five chapters in one sitting. It helps that the author and her family live in our area so I recognize many of the places she describes and can picture our own encounters in those environments and imagine quite vividly the scenes she is describing. It helps also that she jumps right into the story and really bares her soul as she recounts her slow realization that something was different about her son (his intense interest in the wheels of a scooter-board struck a nerve) and the continuing journey toward a "diagnosis" and all that entails. School, siblings, socialization, safety, and spiritual struggles are all recounted with openness and a positive perspective that helped me realize that someday I would look back at our own struggles with a similar assurance. There's no strident advice here, although I think one could learn a lot from this mom about the choices and steps we take to support our special kids through every challenge that they face. I would highly encourage you to read this book if you are parenting a special needs child because you will come away with a renewed enthusiasm for facing your days with a smile and a shrug. I would also encourage you to read this book if you know someone whose child has autism specifically. It will help you know better what life is like for that parent and for that child, and how you can support them best.


Other book reviews:
Handle with Care

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails