Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Digest 7


Last week was interesting to me because of some strong reactions I had to certain events that reminded me of how proud I am to be an American. A dear friend of ours (my husband's best man in our wedding) chose to become a United States citizen. Our church honored his decision by asking him and his wife to come forward during our regular service so that we could pray for them. As they came forward our worship band played "America the Beautiful" and everyone in the congregation sang on the chorus. It brought tears to my eyes as I considered that this dear friend had made the choice to join our wonderful country. Later that week we hosted a small dinner party at our home to celebrate his swearing in ceremony. Then Friday, the eighth anniversary of 9/11, I spent the day "fasting" from facebook and twitter. It seemed trivial to post anything beyond a status of "Never forget," so I made that my message at 12:01 am and left it that way all day. Every time I thought about posting something to facebook I would remember my current status and why I had chosen to do that and I remembered the turning point of 9/11 for our country. I was surprised and a little appalled at the scant notice given to commemorating the victims of the 9/11 attacks. Perhaps the most moving event was late in the evening when I had to run an errand. I drove on the freeway near our home under and overpass where each year (beginning in 2001) a group of patriots stands above the freeway behind United States flags hanging on the overpass. It causes a mini traffic jam as motorists slow to see the flags, wave, honk, and wipe their eyes as I did. We do still love our country. We are proud when others choose to join us in that love. We are sad and angry when others wish to do us harm. Above all we remember. Today I'm posting simple links to blog posts and other items that recall the first 9/11. The only 9/11 that we should Never Forget. God bless the United States of America!

Solemn at Hopeful Parents
Implications of 9/11 and the disability community at Specialgathering's Weblog
Matthew's Center made cookies and delivered them to first responders
Another Year Past 9/11 at BellaOnline
Get Prepared America at macon.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails